Gordon’s own recipe more or less. I have been cooking those a lot lately after having forgotten about fondant potatoes for a long time.
- 2kg potatoes;
- 50g butter;
- 400ml chicken or vegetable stock;
- 1 sprig fresh thyme;
- 2 peeled cloves garlic;
- Freshly ground pepper and salt
- Peel and cut the potatoes into even-sized barrel shapes, approximately 4cm in length, 2.5cm in width. It is important that the potatoes be of a similar size so that they cook evenly. I usually just them to size and to a more of a square form than barrel;
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over a low heat, add the potatoes, thyme and garlic and cook slowly, shaking the pan and stirring regularly until potatoes are golden brown all over. This will take 15-20 minutes;
- Add 200ml of the stock and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the remaining stock and cook for 35-40 minutes until the stock has reduced and potatoes are tender. Season and serve immediately.