I got the recipe for the crab potatoes from Santino Busciglio the chef at Mennula in
Ingredients (for a starter for 4 triple everything for a main):
- 300 gr mealy potatoes e.g. King Edwards;
- Fresh preferably white crab meat;
- 2 spring onions;
- 3 tbsp best quality EVOO;
- 1 tbsp white wine balsamic;
- S&P to taste;
- 1 large skate knob per person;
- Beurre Blanc.
- Bake the potatoes in their skins on a bed of coarse sea salt at about 160 to 180 depending on their size;
- When potatoes are cooked through slice the potato in half and scoop out the flesh into a bowl;
- Crush the potatoes with a fork (crush don’t mash you want the texture of potato) and the olive oil, sweet white balsamic vinegar, chopped spring onions, season with salt and finally the fresh crab meat. Do not over mix as it will turn in to crab glue.
- Fry skate knobs in oil on a hot pan for about 1 min per side;
- Form crab potatoes into a circular pile by pressing them through cake cutters, add skate knob on top, add about a table spoon of the beurre blance. Serve immediately.