Making Nobu style blackened miso cod has always seemed rather daunting as it requires rather a lot of advance preparation. I recently came across this method which could not be simpler even though it still requires some advance preparation. The recipe uses black cod but you could use real cod or haddock. The quantities below served as a starter for seven.
- 8 3cm thick black cod steaks skin on approximately 1200 gr;
- 200 gr white miso paste;
- 25 ml Mirin sauce;
- 25 ml white wine;
- 1 tbsp honey (optional);
- Whisk up the miso paste, wine and Mirin (and honey if using) until light and creamy;
- Put the miso mixture into a ziplock bag, add the fish and make sure all the steaks are completely covered in the mixture;
- Push all air out of the bag close it and leave the fish to marinate in for at least 12 hours in the fridge. 24 hours is better but 12 will do;
- Line an oven tray with aluminium foil, place the black cod on top and broil in the oven for about 10 min.
Served the black cod on top of thin steamed asparagus spears that I had tossed in rapeseed oil, soy sauce, salt and pepper.