I'm not sure this concoction really qualifies as sauce but you could easily serve it with pasta or rice. I served it yesterday on top of toasted sourdough bread as I wanted to minimize the carbohydrates on offer and that worked quite well. The quantities below served seven people as quite a generous starter.
- 1.5 kg leeks, washed thoroughly, quartered and chopped into 1 cm pieces;
- 1/2 kg peeled and cleaned prawns;
- 50 gr minced fresh ginger;
- 4 tbsp EVOO (you can substitute other oils for a different result);
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce (e.g. kinkoman);
- 1 tbsp dry sherry;
- Salt and pepper.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat until smoking. Add the leaks and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the leaks begin to brown.
- Remove the leeks from the pan and add the remaining olive oil, prawns and ginger. Cook until the prawns are almost pink then add back the leeks and season to taste. When the prawns are cooked (no gray remains) add in the soy and sherry and stir until half the liquid has evaporated, serve on your choice of carb.