Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Ivy

(27 November 2006)

Got taken there yesterday by some Canadian Bankers/Investors. Apparently, Canada like the rest of the world is so flush with cash that they don't know what to do with it so what better way to spend it than take people with assets to sell to dinner at the Ivy.


I've always been of the opinion that the Ivy is the most overrated and overpriced bistro in the world. The food is very simple, but good, the service to be fair is great as is the vine cellar. The primary reason to go there at the prices they charge is to gaze at the rich and famous. Leslie Nielsen was the only person I recognised last night; just about as disappointing as when I went to Nobu and Salman Rushdie was the only person I recognised.


That being said if you stick to what they do well and are not expecting innovation then the Ivy does not disappoint. They are essentially very good at the kind of simple traditional English/French food that Delia advocates. I had dressed crab (yummy) and Shepherds Pie made from beef and lamp that was excellent. My colleague had lobster bisque and steak tartar both of which he declared excellent.

No comments: